Battlesbridge, located at the tidal reach of the River Crouch, has had a long history with the river that divides it. 

View from the bridge - Looking south from the bridge to the tide mill and drying kiln
Looking south from the bridge to the tide mill and drying kiln

It takes its name from the Battaille family, with a mention in a 1351 document as the settlement of Bataillesbregge.  This also indicates that there was a bridge as far back as the 14th century, though the present day iron structure is much later, dating from 1872.  It was the second iron bridge to be constructed; the first was struck and irreparably damaged by a passing steam traction engine.

Looking east along the Crouch from the iron bridge towards the coast
Looking east along the Crouch from the iron bridge towards the coast

Our Opening Times

Tuesday10am - 5pm
Wednesday10am - 5pm
Thursday10am - 5pm
Friday10am - 5pm
Saturday10am - 5pm
Sunday10am - 5pm
CLOSED - Opening at 10am

Since mediaeval times, Battlesbridge has been a port.  Once busy servicing London's needs, the village was a busy community of mills, farms and even coal yards.  Barges from London collected flour and hay while coal from the North of England was unloaded at the riverside quays.  Malt, lime and chalk were also traded and of course, the river was a reliable source of fish.  The granary that now houses the largest concentration of antiques dealers was a Victorian addition.  It would have been a bustling place. 

Battlesbridge Antique and Craft Centre
Battlesbridge Antique and Craft Centre

The village green at Battlesbridge
The village green at Battlesbridge

Marker stone by Cromwell House
Marker stone by Cromwell House
Those days are a far cry from the genteel antiques trade that characterises the place today.  Over eighty dealers ply their trade in the many historic buildings, seven of them listed, that have helped Battlesbridge win the designation of a conservation area. 

Two pubs, The Hawk and The Barge Inn, also draw people from neighbouring towns as well as from the village itself.

Meet Our Team

Jim Gallie

Jim Gallie

Proprietor

Contact Jim Gallie

Justine Gallie

Justine Gallie

The Old Granary

Contact Justine Gallie

Valerie Gallie

Valerie Gallie

Cromwell House Antiques

Contact Valerie Gallie

Georgina Gallie

Georgina Gallie

Frasers Guest Accommodation

Contact Georgina Gallie

John Bedford

John Bedford

Muggeridge Farm & Showground Events

Contact John Bedford

Val Dyas

Val Dyas

Accounts and Administration

Contact Val Dyas